Link building is a highly challenging component in the optimization of your site. And it is also very crucial for the success of a site. I’ve found that it is influenced by the budget, the effort you put in it, and most importantly lots of creativity. The link building basically depends on the niche you have chosen and your personal preferences.
There are three main categories of links present which include:
Natural or editorial links – The links are given to your site naturally by sites that wish to link to your website. No particular optimization is required except focusing on the content and increasing its visibility. Some bloggers & website owners may impress in your content and give permanent links while they make some articles or include in their website/blog
Manual links – This is done by SEO where you email bloggers for links, submit the site to directories and pay for getting on the listings.
Non-editorial links – There are websites that offer the chance to create links via forum signatures, user profiles, guest book signing, blog comments, etc. Though these are of low value, they still help.
Significance of Link Building
Though some webmasters suggest that links are no longer given importance, I think it is an integral part of Google’s ranking process. SEO experts still recommend using links even if Google stops using the links for ranking, as the traffic generation to a site is mainly influenced by the links it has.
Strategies that Help
For accumulating the right links, you need to implement certain strategies like:
- High quality content automatically attracts valuable links, so having a regulated and useful content always helps.
- Careful use of anchor text links is needed as Google frowns upon using keyword rich anchor text. I’d suggest leaving the text to the site which you’re linking to, so you are not hit upon for abuse of anchor text. Also using diverse anchor text will make it look more natural and have a great impact
- Having good knowledge on the preferences of your target audience is necessary. You can find this from the videos, blog posts, lists, and infographics that your target audience shares in social media.
- Links in press releases are taken as paid links by Google. Doing something important and sending a note to bloggers or journalists about it will get them to write on it and also add a link to your site. The priority should be on getting maximum coverage which will automatically get you links, instead of the other way round.
- Article submission, commenting and participating in blogs that belong to your niche, and listing your site on directories are some of the ways to boost link building
I’ve found certain tools for link building more significant than the others. For instance, Open Site Explorer and Majestic SEO are good backlink data providers, because of the metrics they use. Blekko and Ahrefs can be used to know about the backlinks and how they compare with the competition. Citation labs and Seer’s SEO toolbox offer a variety of resources that help you in all aspects of link building.
The ideas I’ve outlined are just a bit of the vast amount strategies that are present for link building. There are several other ways which webmasters use regularly and find success. In addition to the existing strategies, newer and fresh ideas like widget creation and Facebook app use are being considered for increasing links and generating traffic.
Links- Use free services and the Quality is Average